Okay y’all, this has to be the most scrumptious gluten-free, dairy-free Cinnabon copycat you will ever try. I made cinnamon rolls from scratch, during one of my recent trips to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Side note, this mountain town is our little piece of paradise. It was my first attempt at this particular recipe, and I have to admit, it felt a bit tedious navigating through the instructions for the first time. However, now that I have the recipe down, it has become a favorite in my home. We gobbled down the first batch of cinnamon rolls in one day—all eight of them to be exact.
Try this gluten-free, dairy free cinnamon roll recipe using the directions below. Or, download the printable version. They are sure to be a hit in your home!
Rolls: Prepare the night before
Servings: 8 Rolls
Ingredients: See baking instructions below
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 packet (7 g) yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup (83 g) potato starch
- ½ cup (80 g) brown rice flour
- ¼ cup (29 g) finely ground almond flour
- ¼ cup (34 g) tapioca starch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
- Plastic wrap for rolling out the dough
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
- dash of salt
- Combine yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Microwave milk and 1 tablespoon butter to approximately 110-115 degrees. Whisk into yeast mixture and set aside to proof.
- Meanwhile in small bowl whisk together potato starch, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, almond flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Once yeast is proofed add in egg, oil, and ½ teaspoon vanilla. Mix for a moment and then slowly add in the flour mixture. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and beat for 1½ minutes.
- Roll out the dough: this is a sticky dough that you’ll want to roll out to approximately a 13″ x 10″ rectangle. Cover a surface (i.e. cutting board) with a good quality plastic wrap and then a light layer of tapioca starch. Place dough in the center and cover with a bit more tapioca starch and another sheet (or two) of plastic wrap. Roll out to the needed size and then carefully peel off the top layer of plastic wrap.
- Using a knife or spatula gently spread the ⅓ cup softened butter over the dough evenly leaving ½” space around the edges.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar & cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over dough.
- To roll your dough: start on one of the shorter sides and gently begin rolling your dough into a log form. Use the plastic wrap to help you “lift and roll” the dough as you go along. Try to make it a nice tight roll, however do not try to unroll it and re-do it. You’ll end up with a sticky mess.
- Sprinkle lightly with tapioca starch again. Dip a sharp knife into tapioca starch then cut the rolls into 8 pieces.
- Place the rolls, cut side down, in a greased pie plate. Once the rolls are in the pie plate, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, remove the pie plate from the fridge and set out for at least 25 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake 22-27 minutes until tops are golden brown.
- In a mixing bowl, beat softened butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla and a dash of salt.
- Drizzle over the tops of cinnamon rolls as soon as they come out of the oven.